With the aid of a flat iron, you can easily get straight hair at home. Ceramic flat irons are considered to be the best as they do the minimum damage to the hair. If proper technique is used to flatten the hair, you can do wonders and get the desired look at home. After straightening, your hair can be kept straighten all day long only if you effectively use the flat iron.
Read the article carefully how to use it properly from start to finish:
Preparing your hair for heat
For this, you must use the shampoo and conditioners that are specially made for sleek or straight hair. Just look for those hair products that claim to be for straightening or provide moisture to your hair.
After the shower, pat your hair dry. With the help of your towel try to remove the water from your hair locks by mildly squeezing your hair in parts rather than ruffling it harshly with the towel. With this, the excess frizz formed in your hair is removed.
While the hair is wet, apply serum for thermal protection. Make sure that the serum is applied on wet hair as it makes the serum spread evenly on the hair. After, you have applied the serum, please comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb.
After this blow dry the hair so that they are dry after straightening. On dry hair, the result of the flat iron is better. Also, the chances of your hair getting shocked by heat to get minimal.
Learning the Technique
- Once you switch on the iron, you will see the heat setting near the “on” switch. Adjust the heat setting to your desired level of heat. If you hair is frizzier and thicker, then the heat setting should be more than compared to brittle and thin hair for which minimum level of heat setting is required.
- The next step is to divide your hair into many sections. A total number of section of the hair vary according to the thickness of hair. To make the hair easily pass through the straightener, each section of hair must be 1 to 2 inches thick.
- It is better if you clip or pin the other sections you are not straightening as you straighten one section at a time.
- One of the simplest ways to achieve this is by pinning up the sections you are not using, behind your shoulders or at the top of your head. Once you are done with one section, pull out one more from the lot and start straightening it in front of the shoulder.
- The most appropriate position of keeping the straightener is closer to the roots but beware of burning yourself. Thus, the flat iron rod must be around an inch distance from the scalp for optimum results.
- After all the setting, now move the iron downwards to touch the heated sides and the section of hair must be between them. Be cautious with clamping as it must not be too firm otherwise a ridge can be formed in that section of hair which I am sure you don’t want.
- Now starting from the root of the hair up till the ends, move the rod steadily and fluidly. Make sure, you do not hold your straightener to long at one place. This can damage your hair and give your results you are looking for.
- Run the rod over the section several times until it is completely straight. Depending on the thickness of your hair, you may only have to do this once, or you may need to run the rod through hair several times. This largely depends on the factors listed below:
Every latest hair straightener has got this strength or power associated with it. Thus, it is a very crucial factor that determines the number of times; you would have to run the iron over your hair to straighten it
If you have set the heat setting to a lower level, you would have to run the iron number of times.
- After one section of the hair is done, move it back nicely and take out another section. It is better that you move from 1 direction to the other rather than taking out the sections randomly.
These were the steps to straighten your hair at home with the help of a flat iron. Follow the steps written in the article and you will become a pro after few days of practice. Get away with the hassles of going to a parlor every time you wish to flaunt the straight hair look.
Check Out: How to properly clean your Steam mop.